Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Music You Hear


Those who know me personally would know that music is a huge part of my life. It's not just because I love singing and playing music (which I really do by the way :D), but because music has played such a big role in helping me to relate to God. Music does not equal worship, but it certainly helps us in the way we express ourselves in worship.

And so it aches me when you have songs like this out there:

Peacock by Katy Perry

I wanna see your peacock, cock, cock
Your peacock, cock
Your peacock, cock, cock
Your peacock
I wanna see your peacock, cock, cock
Your peacock, cock
Your peacock, cock, cock
Your peacock

Verse 1
Word on the street, you got somethin' to show me, ee
Magical, colorful, Mr. Mystery, ee
I'm intrigued, for a peek, Heard it's fascinating

Words up your sleeve
Such a tease
Wanna see the show
In 3D, a movie
Heard it's beautiful
Be the judge
And my girls gonna take a bow

Pre-Chorus
I want the jaw droppin, eye popin, head turnin, body shockin
(Uh, uh, oh, Uh, uh, uh, oh)
I want my heart throbbin, ground shakin, show stoppin, amazin
(Uh, uh, oh, Uh, uh, uh, oh)

Chorus
Are you brave enough to let me see your peacock?
Don't be a chicken boy, stop acting like a beeotch
I'ma peace out if you don't give me the pay off
Come on baby let me see
what you're hiding underneath
Are you brave enough to let me see your peacock?
what you're waiting for, it's time for you to show it off
Don't be a shy kinda guy I'll bet it's beautiful
Come on baby let me see
Whatchu hidin' underneath


You don't need to be a genius to figure out what Katy Perry is singing about (yes she means what you're thinking). Now before you all get the idea that I'm just being "old fashioned" about lyrics let me tell you why I hate these kind of lyrics.

You become what you listen to.

Music has an amazing power to change us. The message of a song sticks with us stronger than any speech, lecture, textbook or sermon. So when you listen to songs like "Peacock" everyday, you'll eventually see yourself become that person in the song. You know, that girl who's so desperate to see "peacocks" or that guy who's always desperate to show his "peacock".

Songs like this tell you that you have no self value. They cheapen you and make you "easy" (to bed). They will tell you it's being sexy or naughty but you know deep down inside that is a lie.

Let me tell you something, you are NOT cheap. In God's eyes you are valuable enough to die for (which He did on the cross). Instead of listening to lyrics like "Peacock" why not listen to the music God makes over you?

"He (God) will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." - Zephaniah 3:17b (NIV)

God sings over you. He sings everyday to express how much He loves us. You may not always hear the song but it's there. THIS is the kind of song we should listen to. A song that really tells us who we are: precious, amazing and loved by God.

Open up your heart, tune in your ears and listen to your Dad's love song today.

GOD LOVES YOU

picture taken from:

3 comments:

  1. so well blogged :D keep up the good job and keep giving fresh perspectives every time you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were blessed :D it's a real pleasure to think of God's love in fresh perspectives as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice entry. totally agree in you.
    God bless :)

    ReplyDelete