Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Where is my shoulder?

I came to God one night when I was feeling low. It was one of those nights when the frustrations and disappointments of life was a little overpowering. I lied on my bed and all I wanted to do was cry.

I started to picture people crying on another's shoulder and being comforted with a gentle touch. And I said in frustration, "God where is my shoulder?"

And then this picture came to mind:

A song stand. Not a picture of arms open wide or sunshine but a song stand. You've got to be kidding me right God? This is the best you can give me? A song stand?

Then I was also reminded of a a chapter in the Bible, Psalms 13. It goes like this:

How long, LORD? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?

How long will my enemy triumph over me?
Look on me and answer, LORD my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death,
and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,”
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing the LORD’s praise,
for he has been good to me.

For most people, the reflex in sorrow is to look for a shoulder to pour out our frustrations on. Even if it isn't literally a shoulder and we don't literally cry, we love to vent. And that's exactly what I wanted to do that night -- vent.

But when I read the words of Psalms 13 and I saw the song stand, I knew God wanted me to do otherwise. He wanted me to sing. And it wasn't to sing about my troubles and depressed state but to sing of His goodness and unfailing love.

I grabbed a guitar and I did just that. And it was one of the best worship I had. I remember the comfort that came as I declared God's faithfulness and how unfailing love turned from lyrics into an overflow of faith in my heart.

When you choose to vent, you pour out your sorrows. But when you choose to sing, to sincerely worship the goodness of God; you're allowing God to pour in His love.

That night I learned to trust God a little more. I asked for a shoulder but He gave me a song. And I couldn't ask for anything better, wouldn't you agree?

God Loves You

picture taken from:

No comments:

Post a Comment